The Kids Marathon, presented by INTEGRIS, kicks off Sunday, April 29, 2018, at 8:15am in downtown Oklahoma City. We hope to encourage children to live a healthy lifestyle, while teaching the Lessons Learned from the Oklahoma City bombing on April 19, 1995. It is a Run to Remember and a race to show that we can each make a difference in this world by living up to the Oklahoma Standard through service, honor and kindness.
We expect over 4,000 children to log their 25 miles leading up to the race and complete the last 1.2 miles on Race Day. This race is unlike any other, because it also educates children about the history and mission of the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, and gives them the opportunity to commit to the Oklahoma Standard. The earlier you get involved, the more time you have to encourage, educate, and enjoy this event with your children.
- SCHOOL TEAMS: You must register by April 1st!
- Registration is $15 for all children 6th grade and below, and $25 for adults.
- Children in grades higher than 6th are encouraged to run in the Memorial 5K or one of our other events.
- Parents MUST register as an adult and join their child’s school team (if applicable) during registration. This includes faculty/staff with any school team.
- Runners receive an event shirt, drawstring backpack loaded with race swag, a finishers’ medal, and finish line food and fun!
Race WeekendPick up your race bag at the Health & Fitness Expo. Any participant that joins a school team, be sure to check with the team captain to make sure they haven’t already picked up your packet before you head to the Expo.
- 6th and Harvey directly in front of the Memorial Museum
- Race begins at 8:15am*
- Be lined up no later than 7:45am for warm-up, announcements and fun!*
Color Group Wave Start
- Each individual runner will be assigned a wave start color group designated by the bib color.
- Team members of a school group will have the same color group assigned to them and will not be separated.
- Individuals and school teams will find out their color group and the order of the waves at school packet pickup (for schools) or the race expo (for individuals).
- Safety Net Runners will lead each wave with large signs matching the color of that wave.
- Each wave will run together, go through the finish line into our finishers’ corral, get their medals, and go to their finishers’ meet up area.
Finish LineNew this year, the Kids Marathon will now finish on Robert S. Kerr Ave, a block north from where the Finish Line was last year. Family and friends wanting to see your Kids Marathoner cross the Finish Line can head down to Robert S. Kerr. Ave. then stay to hang out in Kerr Park for finish line fun!
Crossing the Finish LineRunners will cross the finish line on N. Robinson and Robert S. Kerr Ave. Once in the corral, runners will receive their medal and then go directly to their meet up spot. These will be labeled alphabetical by school name. There will be a designated meet up spot for individual runners.
Connection ProcessGuardians who are NOT registered participants and have a tear tag to claim a child will only be allowed to enter at the Guardian Entrance on Robert S. Kerr. Guardians MUST have the tear tag from the bottom of the race bib of the child they are claiming. Guardians claiming a child need to go to the correct school meet up area (labeled alphabetical by school name) OR to the designated meet up for individual runners not with school teams.
Exiting the Finishers’ CorralVolunteers in the meet up areas will verify that adults are matched to the correct kids via the tear tag system. Once confirmed, they will then be directed to their correct exit - Individual Exit or School Team Exit.
Post Race PartyUpon exiting the Kids Finishers’ Corral, registered runners will receive goodie backpacks and exit onto the Kerr Park Lawn for the Post Race Party.
Cheer on the RunnersSpectators can cheer on the kids crossing the finish line by lining the streets OUTSIDE the fence on the north side of Robert S. Kerr. NO one will be allowed in the corral except registered runners with bibs and guardians with tear tags.
Tear Tag ProceduresThe Oklahoma City Memorial Kids Marathon is dedicated to being a safe and enjoyable event for kids, parents and teachers. To ensure better safety in connecting everyone after the race, the Tear Tag Procedures are as follows.
- Only registered race participants will be allowed on the race course and in the corral. Adults with a tear tag to claim a child are allowed into the Kids Finisher Corral. Volunteers in brightly colored shirts and a very visible OKC Police presence will be in place the entire time.
- Each child is issued a bib to wear on race day with a “tear tag” at the bottom with the same number. Parent guardian or a teacher will be required to provide the matching tag for the child to leave the Kids Finisher Corral area.
- You will see two separate entrances into the Kids Finishers’ Corral: The finish line which is for kids and adults who are registered participants and one for adults who have a tear tag to claim a child. Please use the correct entrance.
- School Team Captains: Please collect the tear tags and keep them with your student roster. If you are responsible for your whole school team, we will have special exit lanes for you and your team to exit together. Volunteers will move down the line and check your tear tags in order to be released from the corral. You will be asked to provide the roster and corresponding number of tags – children will be counted and accounted for and then exited under your supervision. We suggest keeping your tear tags together on a key ring or twist tie with your team roster. The team captain can be responsible for all of them, or you can divide them up and give them to registered adults with your school so that each adult is responsible for specific kids. ***Please make sure all kids and parents on your team are aware of these procedures.
- If you do not have your matching tag or claim that it is lost, you will be subject to closer examination by trained volunteer(s) or the OKC Police before you are allowed to exit. Thank you for your compliance with this system for the safety of each participant.
- The ability to view your roster of participants.
- The flexibility of early packet pick up. If you register your school team by April 1, you can arrange with the school coordinator to pick up your race packets the week of the run to ensure you as a captain have enough time to distribute packets to your school team.
- To encourage teams to set and achieve goals together, two $500 prizes, Highest Percentage of Participants and Highest Number of Participants are awarded to teams that register as a school group. Check out last years winners below.
Download the Kids Marathon Welcome Packet.
Book a First Person Presentation at Your School
Hear from survivors, family members, rescue workers and others that were impacted by the bombing and learn why it is important to participant in the Run to Remember. These stories allow students to experience history - and the Oklahoma Standard - from those who lived it. Learn More