FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Memorial Marathon Virtual Run
WHAT IS A VIRTUAL RACE?
Participants will run, walk or ride the distance of the race they are registered for at their own pace and at a time and location of their choosing. They will choose their own race day between October 4-18 and their own starting line (i.e. treadmill, park, Neighborhood Street). This option allows those who invested so heavily in their training to keep going and be rewarded for their efforts with the shirt and medal from their respective race(s).
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE VIRTUAL RACE?
We encourage the same age limits for an in-person race of 12 years or older for the Half Marathon and 16 years or older for the Marathon. Registration for the virtual Memorial Marathon will remain open until October 1.
WHAT DO I GET FOR RUNNING THE 2020 VIRTUAL RACE?
- 20thAnniversary Event Shirt
- 20thAnniversary Medal
- 20thAnniversary Race Bib
- In Honor of Bib
- Digital Race Bag
- Free Entry to the Memorial Museum with Digital Race Bag Coupon
- Exclusive access to Live Special Guest Speakers leading up to Race Day
- Pre-produced Start Line Show to view before your race
- Tied to Our Mission Laces for those who donate $10 or more
- Governor’s Relay Challenge Shirt for those who “Beat the Governor’s Time”
- 20thAnniversary Finisher Blanket (Full and Half Only)
- Challenge Coin (Full and Half Only)
- Only runners who ran the Marathon or Half Marathon in person at the 2019 event and participated in the 2020 Marathon or Half Marathon Virtual event will receive the Challenge Coin in the mail with their race swag
- Oklahoma Standard Medal (Full and Half Only)
- Only runners who participate in the 2020 OKC Virtual Marathon or Half Marathon and Route 66 Virtual Marathon or Half Marathon will be eligible for the Oklahoma Standard Medal. Runners must upload a time on the okcMarathon.com results page and upload a time at the Route 66 Marathon results page. Oklahoma Standard Medals will be mailed with the Route 66 Marathon packets.
WHEN DO I RUN MY VIRTUAL RACE?
Participants will have from October 4 through October 18 to complete their run.
WHAT COURSE DO I RUN ON?
Participants will be choosing their own course. It would be unsafe (particularly in these social distancing days) for us to provide a route that all could use at any specific time. Additionally, the geographic nature of our participants being all over the country/world makes that difficult.
Please keep in mind that if you choose to run one of the courses, these routes are not pedestrian safe without the usual street closures and police assistance with traffic. It is also recommended that you do not attempt to run in a group.
HOW AND WHEN DO I GET MY VIRTUAL RACE PACKET?
Virtual race packets will be mailed starting two weeks before October 4. Anyone registered by September 1 will receive their name on their bib. All participants registered after that will receive a blank bib. All participants will receive the race swag listed above.
HOW DO I RECORD AND SUBMIT MY TIME?
Participants can use platforms such as Strava, MapMyRun, Garmin, etc. to time their run. Then submit that on our registration platform.
WILL THERE BE AWARDS FOR THE VIRTUAL RACE AND CAN I QUALIFY FOR THE BOSTON MARATHON?
Since everyone will be on the honor system and submitting their own finish times, we will not be offering overall winner awards and age group awards for the virtual event. Additionally, since you’ll be creating your own courses that will not be certified, you will not be eligible for Boston Marathon qualification.
We will however be awarding those who embrace the virtual race through fun new awards!
HOW LONG WILL REGISTRATION BE OPEN?
Virtual race registration will be open until a race sells out or through October 1. Participants will have until September 1 to register and get their name on their bib.
CAN I GET A REFUND?
We use registration fees to cover the costs of planning and preparation for the Marathon. Most of the expenses for the event had already been incurred at the time of our first announcement in March when we rescheduled the event. The Memorial is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit, and this race is the biggest fundraiser for the Memorial. Refunding registrations would cause a great detrimental financial impact to the organization. We hope you understand why we cannot issue refunds and instead are asking for a donation of registration fees, for participation in the virtual race, or for deferring registrations to be used for the race in 2021 or 2022.
Can I switch my registration to the ride?
Yes, just use this form and include your name and email address.
Will I receive the same swag?
Yes, all participants receive the things listed above, depending on your race.
I deferred my registration, can I change back to the ride?
Use this form to see what available options there are. Include your name and email!
Can I use a stationary bike or treadmill?
Yes! You can run or ride either on either!
Is there swag?
Runners in all races receive a participant T-shirt and a beautiful, hand-cast bronze finisher’s medal. Looking for more? Visit our store!
Is the Marathon on social media?
Yes! Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Post photos, thoughts, and motivational comments for your fellow runners to see and use the hashtag #RUNtoREMEMBER!