Hello Kids Marathon Friends,
November is a time to be thankful for the opportunities we have to be healthy and happy. Our Kids Marathon staff is certainly thankful that we get to work with so many dedicated teachers, parents, and kids who strive to make good choices each day. After the tragedy of April 19th, 1995, Oklahomans learned to be grateful for the kindness and generosity of those who believed that hope should shine through the sadness. We want all of the kids who participate in the Oklahoma City Memorial Kids Marathon to show their "attitude of gratitude" by thanking those who help them make positive and healthy choices in their lives.
This month, encourage your students to make a list of all of the people in their lives who help them work toward their goal of a healthy mind, body, and heart. Encourage students to write heartfelt thank you notes to these people. Not only will students be able to practice many important writing skills, but they will also be able to recognize and acknowledge those who support them and make a positive impact in their lives.
NOVEMBER SCHOOL FOCUS: TEAM REGISTRATION
Registration opened on September 3rd. In order to create your school team for 2013, please do the following:
- Download and read the 2013 School Team Welcome Packet from our website (www.okcmarathon.com). Also, please read the other important information on our website. Some information is new!
- Get approval from your administrator.
- When you are ready to create your team, email SHANDA (email@example.com). Tell her your name, your school, your city and that you are the team captain for your school – one captain per school please. This includes past team captains!
- As a reply to your email, you will receive directions for creating your school team online via a private link. ***Everyone must do this! All teams from last year have been cleared and a new school team must be created for your school!
- Decide how you want your participates to register (self register and pay online individually or team captain registers participants and pays later via an emailed invoice). If necessary, you can use both methods of registration in combination. EVERYONE MUST CHOOSE YOUR SCHOOL FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU TO BE ON YOUR TEAM!
- Send out a parent/staff letter (suggestion available in the Welcome Packet).
- Start registering! Make sure participants who self register bring you a copy of their confirmation (adults and kids). Keep for your records.
- ***Please note – the deadline for any adult or child to register as part of a school team is April 1st! Any adult or child who registers after April 1st can run, but will not be included in the school team packet pick up and will not be included in the totals for the prizes.
- Please send me information on programs your school uses for training for the Kids Marathon. We want to see how you reward, encourage, and teach your kids! Let's share our great ideas.
- If your school has students who may need financial assistance to participate in the Kids Marathon, please let me know.
If you have any questions, comments, or ideas, I'd be happy to talk to you! Again, thank you for all you do as a team captain to make our kids marathon special.
Shanda Bandi, MEd., NSCA-CPT